Forestry & Tree Programs

Monthly Branch Collection

Public Works offers a monthly branch pickup service to residents to help encourage pruning and trimming on private property. Branches will be picked up by Public Works staff by appointment only on the last Tuesday of every month from April through November.

Please note that branch pickup is intended to assist residents with tree trimming – it is not for tree removal services. If you are removing a tree you need to contact a private tree service for the removal and disposal of branches and logs. 

Branches will be picked up if the following conditions are met:

  • Branches must be stacked in the parkway (between the sidewalk and curb) with cut ends pointing to the curb. Do not block the sidewalk or street.
  • Branches can be no larger than six inches in diameter.
  • Only branches are included in this service. Lumber and other refuse are to be disposed of by the resident.
  • Appointments for brush pickup may be made by contacting the Public Works Department at 708-535-4090 to place your request.

If Public Works cannot fulfill your request for branch pickup, you will receive this notice with the reason why on your door.

Residents may also dispose of branches every week between April 1 - November 30 with the normal refuse pickup. Homewood Disposal picks up bundled branches up to 3 1/2" in diameter, no more than four feet in length, and no heavier than 50 lbs. per bundle on your regular trash day.

Trimming & Pruning

The Streets Division maintains all parkway trees (the parkway is the area between the sidewalk and the street) along public streets within the city.  We will clear any low hanging branches and will pick up large limbs that have fallen from parkway trees, particularly after storm events.  In the winter, we have an active tree pruning program.

Tree Replacement & Planting

For existing parkway trees that must be removed due to damage, disease, etc., the city or a contractor hired by the city will remove the tree. Residents may not remove any parkway trees without the approval of the Director of Public Works. The city may replace the tree if planting conditions permit and if funds are available. There is often a waiting list for tree replacement.

For those homeowners wishing to expedite tree replacement or who want to have a parkway tree planted where one has not previously existed, they may purchase and plant a parkway tree. A tree planting permit must be obtained from the Director of Public Works approving the species of tree to be planted and the proposed planting location on the city right-of-way.

To report a parkway tree problem call the Public Works Department at 708-535-4090 or complete our online service request form.  To request approval to plant a tree in the parkway, please complete the Application for Right of Way Tree Planting Permit.  There is no cost for this permit.  View the list of approved and prohibited tree species.  

ComEd Tree Trimming - September 2023

Trees and branches that interfere with power lines can create safety hazards and cause power outages.  Preventative tree maintenance helps avoid power outages.

  • Within the next three months, ComEd will trim trees, branches and vines that interfere or have the potential to interfere with power lines.
  • In some cases, tree removal may be required. The remaining tree stumps are treated with an approved herbicide to prevent future regrowth. Herbicide will be applied by state-licensed applicators.
  • All work is performed by trained, qualified arborists.
  • View a map of the affected area.  

For more information, visit or call 800-334-7661.

If you have any questions regarding the tree trimming process, call 800-Edison-1 (800-334-7661) and ask to speak with a Vegetation Management representative, or visit our web site at You may also request a written copy of the dispute resolution process. Property owners may appeal planned vegetation management activities through ComEd or the Illinois Commerce Commission. To contact a Consumer Affairs Officer of the Illinois Commerce Commission, call 800-524-0795.